Eklutna Canyon

View History of 10/11 Season Posts

Eklutna Canyon

Postby i_ray » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:14 pm

Got out and climbed Mad Dog last night. It was thin in some places, but it's definitely do-able. As is normal with this climb, top-roping it is a must better approach, especially with the conditions being so thin. We ran into some folks who were just coming back from the river. Back to the Dam, they said, Ripple was the only route with enough ice. Take the trail toward Mad Dog all the way back, since the river is definitely not frozen. Hopefully with this cold front coming in, things will start to form.
i_ray
neophyte

Re: Eklutna Canyon

Postby John N » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:37 am

Mad dog is a super fun lead right now if you have a few specters.
John N
gelid fiend

Postby jg_eddie » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:32 pm

Was in the canyon Friday, climbed Mad Dog, T.J. Swan and Ripple. Ripple is well formed (although a bit wet). Followed my partner up T.J. Swan, technical climbing pulling up over the roof onto the moss...get it! Creek is walkable from T.J. Swan onward.
Attachments
IMG_0944.JPG
Amos leading TJ
IMG_0944.JPG (120.93 KiB) Viewed 5259 times
jg_eddie
barfly

Postby John N » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:12 pm

Crazy Amos....that kid will lead anything!

Great to see you guys conquered that moss roof, it sure looks like a blast.
John N
gelid fiend

Postby bln » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:27 pm

Stay out of this drainage if its ice you're after. Adam and I took a break from the holiday hoopla this morning for a quick fix at Ripple. The route is thin at the bottom curtain, but wider towards the top. Didn't look at the Annie or Boones. TJ and MD are thin and probably require m-gear.
Enjoy
bln
votary of ice

Postby i_ray » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:04 pm

Climbed Boone's Farm and at the Dam. The top curtain on Boonie's is fairly thin, but easily takes a stubby. The Dam is fat, we heard the trusses popping while we were climbing, so we'll see how that holds up. Ripple is in nice and thick at the top, the bottom isn't as it usually is, but it's still in great shape. The approach is nice and solid. Get some.
i_ray
neophyte

Postby John N » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:19 am

Wow, temps are cold!

Went for a solstice climb of Ripple yesterday and found some HARD ice. Getting sticks was a battle. Did not capture second pitch because a dinner plate turned off my camera.

Video shows condition of Ripple and the Dam right now pretty well. The dam looks to be in good shape.

John N
gelid fiend

Postby Clutch » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:27 pm

Trail good, Ripple good, TJ thin, Mad Dog thin, didn't get any further. Whose ropes are frozen into Ripple these days?
Clutch
gelid fiend

Postby jeffrogers » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:38 pm

Boones farm is beat up. Ripple is great. The second step is steeper than most years. Green springs is thin but climbable.
A woman wants her cowboy like he wants his rodeo.
jeffrogers
neophyte

Postby i_ray » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:36 pm

Went back as far as Annie Greensprings. The creek was falling apart before our eyes. We had more ice collapse below us that I can recall. That being said, we still made it back with dry feet. It's still possible to make it back, some light feet, and watchful eyes, however, are helpful . Ripple is still in quite nice, as well as Boonie's, but Annie's is lookin' a little anorexic. Didn't venture as far as the Dam, it might be in fine, but I doubt that both the approach or climb are solid.
i_ray
neophyte

Postby neiceclimber » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:47 pm

Still ice to be had in the canyon for all those not willing to give up on the low elevation season. There is good coverage of ice and snow as far back as Ripple. Rock hopped one ten foot section of open water and the rest was solid, only fell through on the return due to laziness but even then my boots remained dry.

Anyone know the story behind the single rope encased in a seasons worth of ice on Ripple?
neiceclimber
barfly

Return to 2010-2011 Season